Seeking a remote* Senior Software Engineer to contribute to the next phase of growth with our company’s brands and product portfolio.
*Please Note: At this time, Applied is only accepting applications from candidates residing in Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, New Mexico, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.
Come join our growing team! You will have the opportunity to work in a collaborative and creative environment where your ideas matter.
Applied Training Systems, Inc. is seeking a remote* Senior Software Engineer to contribute to the next phase of growth with our company’s brands and product portfolio. The ideal candidate for this critical position will contribute high quality software and engineering expertise as a technical leader with our talented engineering group.
This position reports to the Director, Software Engineering and collaborates with senior leadership from the product and engineering departments.
About our brands:
Our suite of employee management software solutions delivers an integrated approach to talent development. At Trakstar and Reviewsnap we're modernizing and streamlining the performance review process, providing relevant solutions to today's companies. Recruiterbox delivers recruitment software that features numerous tools to make the hiring process easier and more productive. Mindflash is a leading online Learning Management System, making it easy to provide employee, associate, and/or customer training in the cloud. These tools used together create a market-defining employee lifecycle management solution that charts a path for a workforce from hire to retire.
What we do:
Our company mission is to up-level employee performance from hire to retire, because we believe people are happier and healthier when they know their work matters. At Applied, we hire only the best people - individuals who impress their prospects and clients with their industry knowledge of best practices and with insights into how Applied’s ever-expanding employee management tools can help their businesses grow and scale.
What you’ll do:
Your contributions will focus on our Trakstar performance management SaaS products. The team you will join focuses on delivering high quality (low escaped defects), well-tested (Cypress automation framework with focus on unit test coverage), secure (scanned and verified), scalable (AWS, but hardware isn’t the answer), software that delivers exceptional experiences for our clients. This is a great opportunity to join a growing company, be part of an excellent team, architect solutions to complex problems, and deliver valuable features where clean code matters.
You will –
- Build subject matter expertise on your team’s code base and platform.
- Write clean, production-ready code that is easily understood and well tested.
- Do no harm and leave it better than you found it when refactoring components.
- Serve in an on-call rotation (DevOps philosophy where you will participate in ops) and respond promptly to any production issues to remediate rapidly.
- Be a teammate, communicate well, show up when expected, and be available.
- Write secure code. Avoid introducing an OWASP vulnerability. Know how APIs are secured, sessions are handled, and data is validated properly.
- Work in an agile development model and participate, or even lead, sprint planning activities to break down epics, estimate accurately and consistently.
- Look for and surface dependencies that can create technical challenges, bottlenecks, or otherwise inhibit deliveries.
- Build reliable observability; monitor and log alerts to ensure the team is aware of, and can respond to, quality issues or outages.
- Help other teammates resolve complex problems or think through design/architecture challenges. Be available and responsive.
- Foster an excellent engineering culture based in trust, accountability, character, and honesty.
- Seek feedback and deliver constructive criticism (e.g., code reviews) in a tactful and empathetic manner; build others up and mentor without ego.
- Be proactive in moving to new cards/stories and contributing to the team’s forward momentum.
- Participate and hold code reviews to ensure high quality deliveries.
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience. Emphasis in engineering, data science, computer science or information systems is preferred.
- Have a minimum of 5 years of software engineering experience with SaaS applications.
- Proficiency with Ruby on Rails and React a must. Experience with Backone.js, webpack, Rspec, and Terraform a plus.
- Knowledge of Git source control, versioning/branching, rebasing, etc.
- Use of AWS systems (RDS, EC2, RDS, Security Groups, CloudWatch, Ops tools, etc.),
- Experience with Agile SCRUM model.
- Knowledge of code coverage and unit testing frameworks.
- Familiar with Ticket tracking such as JIRA/Pivotal.
- Knowledge of RESTful APIs, secure sessions, identity and access management providers (OAuth, SAML, etc.).
- Experienced with database queries, SQL, optimization and tuning (PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.).
- Knowledge of caching systems (Redis, Memcache, Elasticache).
- Familiar with queueing systems (SQS, RabbitMQ, ActiveMQ, etc.).
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Range $100,000 - $135,000/year
- Flexible time off and paid holidays
- Medical, dental, and vision
- Group term life, short-term disability, and long-term disability
- Voluntary life, critical illness, and accident coverage
- 401(k) program with pre-tax and post-tax options + employer match