Sr. Ruby Engineer focused on data pipelines. Must have some experience or exposure to ElasticSearch.
Showcase IDX is a leader in home search, consumer engagement, and lead generation for real estate agents and teams. In August 2020, we were acquired by eXp World Holdings (Nasdaq: EXPI) and will continue to operate as an independent company. For our sister company, eXp Realty, we will be developing a national and international search portal product, while maintaining the growth of our existing business.
This is a rare opportunity to join a fully remote/distributed team at the beginning of a new mission, as we look to redefine how people find and buy homes on a national and eventually international scale. We are rethinking today's generic home search experience and creating a set of next-generation tools that will help millions of people around the world find and buy their next home. To achieve these ambitious goals, we'll be keeping things simple and transparent in the product design, code, and team. We believe that simple can be hard, but simple is worth the effort.
It's important to us that work is as enjoyable and drama-free as possible. Not every day will be sunshine and rainbows, but we've got each other's backs, and come together to help each other when we're unsure, stuck, or facing adversity. We like making well-reasoned decisions and making them quickly. We don't particularly like too many meetings, but we love working together to figure things out. We're laid back with each other, don't take ourselves too seriously, and laugh (probably more than we should), but we ship awesome, well-documented, and tested code, often.
Our team is made up of experienced, talented people who see opportunities where others may not. We understand that innovation comes from experience, experimentation, iteration, taking smart risks, and rejecting the idea that the status quo is the only or best way to solve a problem. You'll be challenged by big ideas, and have the opportunity to influence a product that truly impacts one of the biggest decisions in people's lives in very real ways.
We are picky about our code. We want our codebase to be readable, maintainable, performant, reliable, and well-tested. We encourage the use of language features to make code more readable, not overly clever. We aggressively, but nicely, code-review each other. We learn from each other and push each other to get better.
We believe that delivering value outweighs how many hours you work or where you work. In our eyes, the best performance and outcomes come from focusing on our personal and team growth and development. We provide a flexible work schedule, generous vacation, a relaxed work environment, and opportunities for professional growth and development. You'll never be asked to come into an office.
- Amazing work/life balance - sane & flexible work schedule, generous vacation.
- Work on interesting technical and product challenges in an environment that encourages creativity, fun, and the use of new tools to deliver the best results.
- Have the creative freedom for learning, experimenting, and responsible risk-taking in a startup-like environment.
- Work closely with a small, talented team with a proven track record.
- Be a central part of a product team that iterates constantly and ships regularly in a truly agile process.
- Contribute to a developer culture that attracts and retains the absolute best engineers through a motivating and rewarding environment. You will help hire, mentor, and motivate an outstanding engineering team.
- Work on public-facing products that customers actually pay for and love.
- Have your work be seen and used by hundreds of millions of people.
- Spend your day engineering software instead of wasting time in meetings
- Great benefits like Health Insurance and flexible vacation scheduling.
- You love working in Ruby codebases and furthering your mastery of the Ruby language.
- You are excited to take ownership of a reasonably large existing codebase and usher it to bigger and better places.
- You love the opportunity to participate frequently in small group / pair-programming sessions for mentoring, cross-training, and collaboration.
- You are motivated by working on hard and challenging problems rather than showing up just to checkboxes.
- You are driven by building a world-class product and great user experience.
- Your best day is seeing your team, who you’ve coached and mentored and collaborated with, deliver and achieve amazing results.
- You relish the opportunity to work with a product team, engineers, customer success, and customers to ensure a surprisingly awesome customer experience.
- You ask a lot of questions and love spirited yet professional debate, knowing it improves outcomes.
- You are comfortable navigating uncharted waters within the company.
- You are motivated by creating your own path to delivering value and taking full advantage of personal empowerment.
- You work openly and honestly with your engineering and product peers to negotiate and document clear scoping & phasing boundaries for projects. You ensure that your team only commits to work that is realistically possible to deliver within standards of quality, timeliness, robustness, and appetite for technical debt.
- Whenever you touch code, you take the opportunity to leave it in a better place through appropriate improvements in refactoring, testing, or documentation.
- Deliver awesome, fun, engaging, and reliable solutions.
- Collaborate with the team, partners, and customers to provide accurate estimations, timelines, costs, and risks associated with development.
- Create clear, concise deliverables that communicate your plans and allow the team to successfully execute ideas.
- Actively participate in stand-ups, meetings, and design sessions.
- Participate in code reviews, vendor selection, research, 1 on 1’s and discussion to help you and the team with professional development.
- Work cross-functionally on teams to implement search heuristics, and be an expert on our data.
- Writing ElasticSearch queries.
- Stitching data together to be in easily aggregatable formats.
- Helping Middleware and Frontend Engineers understand the search data.
What a successful first year looks like
- First 30 days
- Familiarize yourself with our product, ops architecture, and front-end codebases to develop a strong understanding of our business and how all of the product & code pieces fit together.
- Quickly learn and become proficient at working with WebAPI, the official oData API of the Real Estate Standards Organization for working with real estate data.
- Working with the product & engineering teams, start designing & delivering great code -- consistent with our coding style, architectural, and testing practices -- to support current roadmap items.
- Participate in 1-1’s with your manager.
- Learn about our hiring process and assist in the interviewing, hiring, and onboarding of additional members for your team.
- First 180 Days
- Work with the product team to understand the medium- and long-term roadmap and advise them on what is possible based on the current & anticipated team size.
- Continue to build capacity in your team by hiring and onboarding additional team members. You will develop a playbook to successfully onboard team members intentionally and productively to hit the ground running in our product, team, and cultural environment.
- Further your team’s professional development and productivity through routine, proactive 1-1’s and team project retrospectives. Take responsibility for identifying and implementing opportunities for improvement.
- Lead your team through periodic code, architecture, and design reviews to help build a productive, high-trust team environment.
- First 365 days
- Lean into the hypergrowth of the engineering and product teams by proactively working with your team and other teams/team leads to grow personally while maintaining a high-trust, productive product development culture.
- 6-8 years experience with Ruby / Ruby on Rails / Sidekiq.
- Experience with Postgres, Elastic Search, Redis
- Experience in core aspects of web application development including design, development, architecture, separation of layers, configuration, performance, integration, analytics
- Excellent Written and Verbal communication skills; strong interpersonal skills.
- Detail-Oriented, self-starter, motivated, results-driven, with a high level of energy, enthusiasm, and initiative.
Nice To Have
- Experience using Kanban to meet deliverables.
- Experience with Kubernetes.
People You'll Work With
- We are a highly collaborative and cross-functional organization. As you pursue your objectives and Showcase IDX’s goals, you will be working closely with:
- Scott Lockhart - CEO
- Alan Pinstein - COO
- Scott Davis - VP of Engineering
- Kurt Uhilr - CMO
- In addition to a competitive salary, Showcase IDX offers:
- Stock Option Grant
- Flexible PTO
- Quality Medical + Dental + Vision
- Tax-Free Flexible Health Spending Account
- 401K with company match
- Life Insurance
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance