Each day brings more chores and less time to accomplish them. Whether someone needs a handyman, house cle...
Each day brings more chores and less time to accomplish them. Whether someone needs a handyman, house cleaner, mover or delivery person, TaskRabbit delights clients by matching the right skilled person in minutes. With our support, our customers can accomplish it all not only today, but also on-demand to be their most productive self. On the other side of the marketplace we help our Taskers earn a living by setting their own prices, defining their working hours, and give them control to help people when and how they want in the most supportive marketplace.
We're a mission-driven company. Our culture is collaborative, pragmatic and fast-paced. We're looking for talented, entrepreneurially minded and data-driven people who also have a passion for helping people do what they love - and having a ton of fun while they're at it.
About the Job
You'll be one of the leaders of the team, helping to mentor junior engineers, propose creative solutions, and detangle the complex into the simple. As a Staff Ruby engineer you'll be responsible for driving the backend development. You'll work alongside our Chief Architect to have a full vision of the system working to build a robust platform that's clearly organized and easy to maintain. We believe strongly in test-driven development and code reviews. It's expected that you'd be a main reviewer helping to grow the skills of the more junior engineers, along the way hopefully you'll learn a thing or two during the reviews as well. You'll also spend significant time writing code and building features; and we're looking for someone who will be as excited to learn engineering insights from us as they are to teach us the gems of wisdom they've learned along the way.
- Provide feedback through code reviews and white boarding sessions
- Collaborate with design and product management to conceptualize a new product feature from the ground up
- Work alongside the junior engineers to help them think through designs, code implementation, and know how to break down their goals into actionable steps
- Build out the web application and backend APIs to support clients, taskers, and internal users
- For example help us remove friction from the hiring flow or think through a schema for a new product feature
- Maintain and expand unit tests and code coverage
- Implement product features and refactor existing code throughout the stack
- Implement APIs for use in mobile clients
Background and Experience
We welcome applicants from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Below gives you a sense of how we're thinking about the role. We expect you to learn and grow on the job, for this role we're targeting someone who brings some opinions and experience.
- 8-10 years of experience, comfortable helping out junior engineers
- Seasoned developer, ideally Ruby developer, familiar with Rails and commonly used gems; would be willing to hire a non-Ruby person who has experience with similar environments like Python or Node.js
- Knowledge of MySQL, Redis, React, JS, and/or ElasticSearch all a plus
- Familiarity with Linux command line, automated build systems would be nice
- Excited to work with continuous integration and frequent, daily releases
- Thoughts about how to organize code across the stack, what belongs in the front end, what the back
- Comfortable making tradeoffs between maintainability, time to market, and feature sets
- Like to think about how to break problems down into smaller iterable steps
- Ready to dig into full lifecycle of data flowing through the system
BuzzHero connects highly talented tech professionals with exceptional companies, using a skills-based assessment. We currently serve top customers ranging from multi-national enterprises to high profile start-ups.