Apartment List is hiring a Rails engineer to help us solve one of the biggest problems that exists today. We spend 2/3 of our time in our ho...
Apartment List is hiring a Rails engineer to help us solve one of the biggest problems that exists today. We spend 2/3 of our time in our homes, and apartment hunting can be a long and weary process. But with Apartment List, it doesnt have to be! Do you dream of making an impact on peoples lives by bringing amazing products to life? Here is your opportunity.
The Search & Discovery team's charter is to surface the best, personalized listings for a renter. Renting is a stressful process. During the 2-4 weeks that a typical renter is looking for a new home, they go online every day to look for more options and evaluate their choices. We won't rest until every day they come back to Apartment List, and not anywhere else.
Who You Are
- You have at least 5 years of experience in organizations with a solid engineering process
- You are passionate about building full stack, highly customized communication and messaging systems, from scalable backend services to frontend projects that are critical to the re-engagement experience
- You have incredible attention to detail and are able to implement creative and technically sound solutions to product challenges
- You understand databases, REST, MVC, concurrency, scalability, and queues
- You write SOLID code utilizing appropriate design patterns. You balance reusability with YAGNI. You write tests and you think about security
- You have a strong understanding of CS fundamentals. That usually comes with a CS degree, but we dont care whether you have one
- You stay on top of the latest and greatest in the industry. Maybe you tried Elixir and loved it? Perhaps you dabbled with React? Or maybe you played with Vue.js and hated it? We care that you care!
What You'll Do
- Build the high-performance services that power Apartment List's search experience for our website and mobile apps
- Use the right tool for the job. Our backend is powered by Ruby, PostgreSQL, Kinesis, and Redis, and we are always open to new ideas on how to make us more productive
- Make full-stack contributions to a variety of codebases, from our core API to our primary web application written in Rails 5 and React
- Interact closely with your teammates in product management, web and mobile engineering teams. Youll have a say!
- Collaborate closely with the larger engineering team. We expect you to be great, and we expect you to make us all better
- Bring delight and simplicity to millions by solving a critical problem in their lives
About Apartment List
Apartment List is the fastest-growing online rental marketplace, and were on a mission to help everyone find a home they love while making the search process simple and painless. By taking time to ask renters important questions about their preferences, our machine learning technology delivers a tailored experience that makes it easier to find the right home, without wasted time and hassle.
Currently, Apartment List has more than 4 million units on our site nationwide and weve raised more than $100M in funding from Caanan Partners, Matrix Partners, and Passport Capital. The company launched in September 2011, and has been named one of Forbes Top 25 Most Promising Companies and Inc.s Fastest Growing Private Companies in the U.S.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.