Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
About the Role:
Engineering Managers typically manage no more than 5 direct reports who span multiple teams. By mentoring people across the organization, as well as participating directly in hands-on technical work, you’ll help create and spread our engineering culture and practices.
In this role, you will spend approximately 25% of your time on people management and approximately 75% of your time embedded on one of our product teams as a contributing engineer. This role explicitly does not include product or project management responsibilities (those duties are encompassed by our Product Manager and Engineering Lead roles -- see this article (https://medium.com/code-for-america/engineering-leadership-at-code-for-america-aa80245b76eb) for more of our thinking on engineering leadership roles).
This position is full-time, based in our office in San Francisco or remote within the U.S., and reports to our Engineering Director. Note: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, our team is currently operating in a fully remote fashion. Though we are remote, our team deeply values live collaboration which is typically between the hours of 9:30am to 4pm Pacific Time. You can find more information on our remote work policy for Software Engineering here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_kIKV3Qzo7mzCx4HOcqNWt67j05rNedX6pCDdynei9k/edit).
In this position you will:
- Support your direct reports through regular 1:1s, gathering and providing candid feedback, helping think through career growth and goal setting, and conducting performance evaluations.
- Ensure your direct reports have what they need, surface issues to leadership, and advise on project staffing so that individual contributors and teams at CfA are set up for success.
- Help with interviewing and hiring to ensure that we improve our team and maintain our core values with each hire we make.
- Spend time writing code and contributing to one of our main product teams, directly helping deliver government services to those who need them most.
- Foster an inclusive and equitable working environment where everyone is supported to do their best work.