Are you passionate about computer science and education? We'd like to work with you! As a senior/principal software engineer on...
Are you passionate about computer science and education? We'd like to work with you! As a senior/principal software engineer on the Platform Team at Code.org, you'll deliver software products and operate services used by tens of millions of students and teachers in K-12 classrooms around the world. Our team's goal is to enable access to anyone and everyone who wants to use Code.org. Whether that be through integrating with learning management systems, supporting new authentication providers, or even building solutions to deliver to areas with limited or no connectivity, our mission is to remove all obstacles that might prevent a student, teacher, or school from being able to utilize our platform. And with AI bursting onto the world stage, we'll be looking for ways to both use and support AI curriculum as well.
Learn more about our Software Engineering Team here ! DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As a member of our engineering team, you will:
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Own projects and build features end to end, working on exciting technical challenges using some of the latest technologies.
- Work across the engineering organization to help set the technical direction for the Code.org platform, as well as contribute to our architecture working groups.
- Work with your product manager and internal customers (other engineers) to identify current limitations or new features that deserve attention to enable the best experience possible for our students and teachers.
- Explore and contribute to our efforts to incorporate AI in all aspects of our product and curriculum
- Create and expand the foundational concepts and components in our system necessary to support our ever-expanding set of course and features
- Ship software regularly while maintaining excellent live site availability.
- Mentor other engineers and contribute to an inclusive, growth-focused, and collaborative team culture.
Candidates should have strong software engineering industry experience. ML & AI experience are a bonus, whether in the industry or pursued as a personal passion on the side, we're looking for you.
We seek candidates who have:
- Passion for our mission of growing access to computer science education
- Passion for learning and exploring new technologies, building processes and tooling to multiply the team's output, and looking for ways to improve not only what we build, but how we build and operate it.
- Experience supporting a production high-scale web-based software product or service using cloud technologies (ideally AWS)
- Experience in both working independently on and leading larger investigations and implementation efforts. This includes the ability to break down project work into smaller features, communicate status updates effectively, and propose improvements to execution plans.
- Experience leading architectural change from conception to execution identifying opportunities, seeking input, setting technical direction, and garnering support from stakeholders.
- A product and team-first mindset where success is measured by the team's delivery, execution, and health
- A desire to improve how we work and aren't afraid to suggest changes to existing patterns.
- A bias for action that moves implementation forward, knowing how to balance planning and execution.
- Passion and experience in growing engineers around you through mentoring, promoting opportunities, and supportive feedback
- At least 5+ years of professional software engineering experience
In addition, AI experience is a bonus and includes:
- Experience with commercial, hobby, or open source language models and prompt engineering frameworks
- Knowledge of mitigating bias and improving safety of LLMs; preferably for educational purposes
- Ability to apply AI models creatively and effectively using commercial and open source solutions
- Familiarity with instruction tuning and agent frameworks
- Proficiency in ML frameworks such as PyTorch or TensorFlow
In addition, candidates must:
WHAT IS THE INTERVIEW PROCESS LIKE?
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Pass a pre-employment background check
- Be willing to travel a minimum of two times per year for team events
Step 1: Technical Assessment - General Coding
Step 2: Informational Interview - learn more about the role and share your experience (30 minutes)
Step 3: Full Interview Loop (3 one-hour paired interviews)
- Coding: Data Structures
- Coding: System Design
- Code Review
Each interview will include a behavioral question and additional time for the candidate to ask questions
Step 4: Final Interview (1 hour)
Step 5: Reference Checks
All interviews are currently being conducted virtually via Zoom TO APPLY
Our team will review all applications on a rolling basis and if we believe your qualifications would make a great fit, we'll contact you to schedule an informational interview. COMPENSATION & BENEFITS PACKAGE
The expected salary range for this position is $145,800 - $164,800. The actual offer will be at the company's sole discretion and determined by relevant business considerations, including the final candidate's qualifications, years of experience, and skillset.