Software Engineer - Ruby/Java
We are looking for an engineer to join our access team. Our customers are both i...
Software Engineer - Ruby/Java
We are looking for an engineer to join our access team. Our customers are both internal and external. Externally, we provide login, authentication and role management. Internally, we offer consistent and secure role management services that expedite the development process of other teams.
We work with some of the smartest, nicest people you'll meet. People who work here say the problems they work on are enormously challenging, and that the team culture is the most supportive they've seen. If you'd like to be the next great member of our team, read on!
What working here is like:
* We build high-availability applications using contemporary technologies and practices.
* We ship incrementally and often. Once we merge code we typically ship it through to production straight away.
* We own a number of operationally critical services, so we proactively invest in our operational concerns.
* We rotate through a week of being on-call for the team as well as being the "support hero" that fields questions from outside the team during the day. On-call is pretty quiet after hours, and we take time to fix anything that does come up.
* We own our process and we're free to improve on it as we see fit - normally an experiment we try after a discussion in a retrospective.
* You have a collaborative working style that includes colleagues in important decisions and leads to shared code ownership.
* Proficiency in either Java or Ruby, or in similar languages like .NET or Python and the ability to get up to speed quickly.
* Flexibility and a desire to learn are important-most of our current work is in Ruby and React and we support services written in Java.
Nice to haves:
* The bulk of our work is in backend services and APIs, but we have a bit of UI, so React (or similar UI framework) experience is great to have.
* Experience or interest working on a complex service oriented environment coordinating a large number of services.
* Ability to work with heterogeneous systems and troubleshoot new environments you may not have encountered before.
* A security mindset in everything you do, including experience working with different encryption schemes and preventing XSS and SQL-injection
* Experience or interest working with single sign-on and identity management standards such as SAML and SCIM.
The kind of person that enjoys this job:
* Likes working deep in the guts of a system, improving the infrastructure for everybody, but not always building things our end users would see in a web browser.
* Enjoys working on critical components that are designed to be performant and resilient to failure.
* Wants the autonomy to decide how to tackle technical challenges.
* Finds the operational aspects of owning services engaging rather than a chore.
Not sure if this is you?
We're hiring at all experience levels for this position, and we're particularly interested in having a diverse team with a broad set of skills and viewpoints. If this seems like your dream job but you're not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! Send along a cover letter explaining why this position sounds interesting to you and a resume or CV.
A little about us:
New Relic is a leading digital intelligence company, delivering full-stack visibility and analytics with more than 15,000 paid business accounts. The New Relic Digital Intelligence Platform provides actionable insights to drive digital business results. Companies of all sizes trust New Relic to monitor application and infrastructure performance so they can quickly resolve issues, and improve digital customer experiences. Learn more at newrelic.com.
New Relic is a San Francisco Best Places to Work award winner, an Oregon "Top Workplace" award winner, named a leader in the Gartner's 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 "Magic Quadrant" for APM companies, a Top 100 OnDemand Company, Best of SaaS (THINKStrategies), Top 100 Coolest Cloud Computing (CRN); 10 Cloud Management Companies to Watch (NetworkWorld) - the list of accolades goes on. More important than all of that: we provide challenging work, opportunities to learn, high quality teammates, a standard-setting product, and a company on the move.
Our office is in the tech mecca of Portland, with easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)-all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up. We can help with relocation and are open to H1-B transfers.
New Relic is most decidedly an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse background and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers' means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.