We seek a full stack developer with experience using the Ruby on Rails framework for web applications.
Silent Spring Institute is a non-profit research organization dedicated to identifying—and eliminating—the environmental causes of cancer. We developed the Digital Exposure Report-Back Interface (DERBI) (https://silentspring.org/project/digital-exposure-report-back-interface-derbi) web application to report personalized results to people who were tested for cancer-causing chemicals in environmental health studies. We believe that everyone has a right to know their results, and that results can empower informed engagement with environmental health. We are scaling DERBI for the growing numbers of researchers who want to use it in their studies.
Role: We seek a full stack developer with experience using the Ruby on Rails framework for web applications. You will be supervised by the team’s technical lead and principal software engineer. You will also work with a designer, project manager, and senior scientist. As part of a small, agile development team, you will frequently work independently and will be responsible for managing your time to meet project milestones.
- Work with a designer and end-users to redesign the existing DERBI interface for researchers to have logical flow or wizard-style navigation.
- Architect (at least on a feature level scale) and build the revised researcher interface.
- Build custom data visualization for displaying chemical exposure data.
- Practice good software engineering habits, including version control using Git, testing, reusability, documentation, etc.
- 3-5+ years’ experience with full stack Ruby on Rails application development, including familiarity with rails deployments, bundler/gems, and the rails asset pipeline.
- Experience developing SQL databases and making SQL queries.
- Additional preferred experience
- Bootstrap and React for front end development. Familiarity with node.js, D3.js, CSS, and HTML
- Experience with AWS, especially provisioning with Cloudformation and deploying to elastic beanstalk
- Familiarity with GraphQL, Hasura, and JWT Authentication for React-based SPAs
- Experience with Git and Unix/Linux commands/bash.
Job type: This is a short-term position with an initial period of 5 months. Depending on performance, skill set, and interest, this position has the potential to be extended at the end of the initial contract. Silent Spring is operating remotely during COVID, so this position is “digital by default.” Our physical office is in Newton, MA.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “software engineer” in the subject line.
More About Silent Spring Institute
Our 20-person multi-disciplinary team includes experts in toxicology, exposure science, epidemiology, and community-based research. We are funded by grants from the NIH, EPA, CDC, and other federal and state agencies, as well as private foundations and charitable contributions. Our publications list is here. Silent Spring Institute is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage applicants from groups who are traditionally under-represented in STEM.