Senior Software Engineer, Ruby
New Relic is looking for a talented and creative full-stack engineer to join ou...
Senior Software Engineer, Ruby
New Relic is looking for a talented and creative full-stack engineer to join our Account Experience team in downtown Portland. As part of this customer-focused platform team, you'll be helping to design the architecture, write the code, and, of course, monitor it all with New Relic.
This position is perfect for someone who loves to create tools to make the lives of software engineers better. It is particularly well suited for an experienced engineer who wants to share their experience, wouldnt mind broadening their skill set to a wide range of technologies and has a soft spot for all things DevOps.
Examples of what you might work on:
• Design, implement, monitor and scale high throughput microservices that consume and aggregate usage data from our customers
• Manage the customer accounts domain, with a particular focus on serving the needs of enterprise customers
• Create user-friendly interfaces for customers and internal stakeholders to view usage data and to manage customer account information
• Solve complex use cases that require close collaboration with product management, product design, and your tight-knit engineering team
What working on this team is like:
• Were a close-knit group of software engineers with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience levels who work closely with each other to solve hard problems. We take collaboration, leadership, career growth, inclusiveness, and team trust seriously.
• We spend most of our engineering time working in a mob programming setting, although we refer to it as campfiring as we like to think of it more as tending a continuously burning campfire. This allows team members of all abilities to fully participate in the teams work, provides a high level of collaboration and shares knowledge equitably on the team.
• We use agile practices to ship software incrementally with frequent customer feedback. We take turns as sprint lead to ensure we meet our commitments and share the leadership and administration responsibilities.
• We work closely with product management, technical support, and our design team to make sure were building the right features to help our customers understand and manage their digital business.
• Everyone participates in an on-call rotation but the team is big enough that the rotation is not burdensome and, when issues arise, we prioritize getting them fixed right away. We're also flexible about swapping weeks because we know life is what happens outside of work.
How do you know if you're right for this job?
• You are highly collaborative.
• You are comfortable digging into technical details and being a key contributor on medium to large features from mockups to production.
• You are interested in dev-ops and not only like to build services, you are also invested in their operation by monitoring their performance, thinking about capacity planning and quickly addressing incidents when they arise.
• You enjoy mentoring others and feel passionate about improving software through constant iteration.
Not sure if this is you?
We're particularly interested in having a diverse team, with a broad set of skills and viewpoints. If this seems like your dream job, but you're not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We'll carefully consider every applicant that takes the time to apply for this specific position. We'll either move forward with you, find other teams that are good fits, keep in touch for later opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Send along resume/cv with a cover letter that tells us why you are interested in joining the New Relic Account Experience team along with anything else that might give us some insights into your technical ability such as GitHub repos, blog or portfolio.
Please note, this position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
At New Relic, we hire people who are eager to contribute to our culture, and we empower them to do just that. We take pride in thinking beyond our day-to-day job descriptions and encourage you to actively seek out opportunities to create the type of work environment that you want to be a part of. What does this look like in action? You should be ready to be a culture add to New Relic and spend ~5% of your time finding meaningful ways to make this an even better place to work.
A little about us:
New Relic provides the real-time insights that software-driven businesses need to innovate faster. New Relics cloud platform makes every aspect of modern software and infrastructure observable, so companies can find and fix problems faster, build high-performing DevOps teams, and speed up transformation projects. Learn why more than 50% of the Fortune 100 trust New Relic at newrelic.com.
New Relic is a San Francisco Best Places to Work award winner, an Oregon Top Workplace award winner, named a leader in the Gartners 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Magic Quadrant for APM companies, a Top 100 OnDemand Company, Best of SaaS (THINKStrategies), Top 100 Coolest Cloud Computing (CRN); 10 Cloud Management Companies to Watch (NetworkWorld) the list of accolades goes on. More important than all of that: we provide challenging work, opportunities to learn, high-quality teammates, a standard-setting product, and a company on the move.
Our office is in the tech mecca of Portland, with easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)all while maintaining the energy, agility, and fun of a start-up.
New Relic is most decidedly an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse background and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
Note: To apply for this job, submit your application by clicking on the Apply Now button on this page