Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this role.
New Relic is looking for an enthusiastic Ruby software ...
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this role.
New Relic is looking for an enthusiastic Ruby software engineer! Not just any software engineer but someone who enjoys the open-source software model. If you've actively created or contributed to a gem. You have our attention!
Our code runs inside hundreds of thousands of our customers' applications. While we have no control over the hosts and environments our agent runs in, our customers depend on it being 100% reliable and having minimal performance impact.
What You'll Do
You will be at the heart of New Relic's best-in-class APM solution, with a focus on our open source Ruby projects. Engaging the community to influence direction and drive innovation, your contributions to our lightweight and dependable data collection software  will directly impact our mission.
While our charter is well-defined, we still have quite a diversity of tasks. Some of the things you'd be doing with us:
* Write efficient Ruby. Customers run our code in their production systems. We are on the lookout for unnecessary object allocations and overly complex code to keep our footprint light.
* Auto-instrument popular Ruby gems to gather performance data. We go deep into Ruby gems, discover how they're implemented, and determine how to hook our instrumentation code into them. You will significantly improve your Ruby meta-programming skills here.
* Write tests. With our comprehensive test suite, we make sure everything we ship is well tested. We go to great lengths to make sure each release is thoroughly tested and dependable.
* Support our agent. We use our support rotations to get to know our customers and solve their issues. More often than not, support incidents lead to ideas on how to improve our agent to serve our customers better, and we make it happen.
* Be a Ruby Agent ambassador to open-source software. You'll build and maintain an open-source project and be an instrumental part of our growing community. As an open-source maintainer, you'll cultivate good developer relationships and work together to encourage, review and merge external contributions.
* Accountability: We never say something is "not our problem". If it's our customer's problem, it is our problem, too. We never drop the ball.
* Attention to detail: We do excellent work every time, and help each other strive for excellence.
* Ruby expertise: We write Ruby code that metaprograms our customers' Ruby code and runs on multiple versions of Ruby and JRuby.
* Collaboration: We work closely together and believe in the power of pairing. It's a great way of sharing information and ensuring quality. And it's more fun!
* Strong Communication: Being an autonomous team in a larger organization, with all teams working well together, requires strong communication. We write proposals, specs, and retrospectives. We give talks, and we demo the work we are doing.
* "Secondary Job": Our "primary job" is the job we were hired for (all of the above). Our "secondary job" is helping those around us to succeed at their jobs. Balancing primary and secondary jobs makes us better, more effective, and happier.
* 5+ years' demonstrated ability with building and supporting Ruby applications in a full-stack capacity
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required
* Expertise with Ruby, Ruby on Rails, or any other Ruby-based framework
* Experience with unit tests and integration tests
* Some level of experience with databases
* Experience chipping into Ruby or Ruby frameworks gems
* A track record learning new technologies and engaging in open source projects
* Familiar with CI/CD
* Strong communication and mentoring skills
* Experience developing and operating within a SaaS business
Not Sure If This Is You?
We are particularly interested in having a diverse team, with a broad set of skills and viewpoints. If this seems like you, but you're not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We'll carefully consider every applicant that takes the time to apply for this specific position. We'll either move forward with you, find other teams that might be a better match, keep in touch for later opportunities, or thank you for your time.
When you apply, be sure to include a cover letter telling us what interests you about this position and why you think it would be a good fit for you. Cover letters matter to us - we really read them
Our Office or Your Office
You will be working with engineers and leaders distributed throughout the world, concentrated around our major offices in Portland, San Francisco, Phoenix, Barcelona, and Tel Aviv. You are welcome to work in one of Our U.S. offices or work from your home office in the U.S., on our core hours. Our global headquarters for research and development is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in the thriving tech community of the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy multi-modal commute access and a plethora of good eats and exceptional coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)-all while maintaining the energy, agility, and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based observability platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what's happening in today's complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world's best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It's the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we're a global company passionate about building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every 'Relic' can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We're consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.