Senior Software Engineer - Global Product Team Chevy Chase, MD WHAT WE DO MATTERS: Here at The Knot Worldwide, we believe in doing work that...
Senior Software Engineer - Global Product Team Chevy Chase, MD WHAT WE DO MATTERS: Here at The Knot Worldwide, we believe in doing work that matters. In 15 countries around the world, our leading family of brands (The Knot, WeddingWire, Bodas, GigMasters, The Bump, How They Asked, Lasting, and more) inspire, inform, and celebrate our communities as they move through life's milestones. From the proposal to creating a home, and starting a family together, we're there for every step of the journey. Our couples and business partners depend on us. They're all in. So are we. The Knot Worldwide is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to bring a wide range of professional expertise and knowledge to our global Product Development team as we create the very best wedding experience for couples, their guests and vendors our small business customers. Over 11 years, we have experienced rapid growth to over 950 employees around the world while maintaining a creative startup culture. You will be challenged with managing innovative solutions and you will be empowered with the autonomy and opportunity to impact change within the $250 billion international wedding marketplace. Join us on our journey as we continue our global expansion among 15 countries in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia. ABOUT THE ROLE:
- Facilitate high quality, scalable product deployment through recommending requirements, architectural designs, user stories, and other artifacts.
- Participate in productive, results-driven business discussions and decision making.
- Lead the design and implementation of mechanisms to share data securely and efficiently between teams.
- Implement solutions quickly and efficiently with minimal error and delegate lower level tasks to more Junior developers through mentorship, when appropriate.
- Ensure minimal tech debt during and after feature development and make thoughtful, forward-thinking technological choices so that future development isn't impacted.
- Execute strategy surrounding code deployments and manage the foundation and framework for others to be effective throughout the release process.
- Assist in automating the developer toolkit to provide recurring value to the company over time; enabling quicker ramp times for new employees and more efficient internal transfers.
- Maintain a friendly, healthy, happy and emotionally safe work environment, fostering professional growth and mentorship to less experienced engineers.
- Execute strategy to automate the quality assurance phase of the development cycle through rigorous automation testing.
- Support a DevOps culture; monitoring system uptime, response times, and product quality and in issue resolution by being on-call for work delivered.
SUCCESSFUL SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER CANDIDATES HAVE:
- A Bachelor's degree or 5-6 years of engineering experience; hands-on coding is required and advance degrees are a bonus.
- Extensive full-stack knowledge in a wide range of technologies; specifically, experience coding with and delivering product in at least one compiled high-level language (C++, C, Java, Scala, etc) and in at least one interpreted web-friendly scripting language (PHP, Ruby, Perl, Python, Elixir, etc.). Experience in one or more of the following technologies a bonus: Ruby on Rails, React/Redux/ES6/Webpack, PHP, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, Chef, NGINX.
- A passion for coding, design and automation, technical expertise, and knowledge to effectively hide internal complexity behind elegant and simple interfaces.
- Diverse perspectives with the ability to consider all angles of the business while making pragmatic decisions.
- The drive to build things, ship early and often, initial comfort with less than perfect, a willingness to say "no" when needed, build to throw away, and clarity with anything you create because you know the next thing's going to be even better.
- A team player mentality, a hands-on, technical approach to mentoring others and the ability to find reward and delight in seeing others around you grow.
- Known for exceeding performance goals, while also encouraging, motivating and acting as the spokesperson and advocate for your team.
- Excited by the fast pace and you thrive in variety.
- An organized and excellent project manager who enthusiastically gets their hands dirty for the sake of getting things done.
- A multi-tasker, but prioritize tasks by urgency and importance.
- Comfortable collaborating with all levels of management.
- Always asking "what if?" and then like to use your resources to find the answers.
- Self-confident, respectful of self and others others, and energetic.
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT YOU:
- You deeply understand our users and put them at the center of everything you do. You aim to serve and delight them every day.
- You are respectful and act with the highest integrity. If you see something that isn't right, you say something.
- You ask questions to understand a perspective and are comfortable respectfully challenging assumptions. You are not turned off by constructive conflict to get to the right answer.
- You set clear ambitious goals. You anticipate obstacles, persevere, and are accountable for your commitments.
- You aren't afraid to challenge the status quo and know that there's no such thing as failure if you learn from it.
- You seek out feedback and never settle in your quest to grow and develop. By being here, you make our company stronger.
WHAT YOU LOVE ABOUT US: The Knot Worldwide offers a unique employee experience and we are deeply proud of our award-winning culture. From flexible vacation and generous parental leave benefits to promoting wellness and giving back to our community, we believe in happiness above all else-in and out of the office. The Knot Worldwide provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability. In addition to federal law requirements, The Knot Worldwide complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. The Knot Worldwide expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.