Key team lead on the SCPR digital product team.
Who We Are:
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public media network whose mission is to strengthen the civic and cultural bonds that unite Southern California's diverse communities by providing the highest quality news and information service on air at 89.3 KPCC, online at LAist.com and through KPCC In Person. Since our founding in 1999, SCPR has been a fast growing, innovative, multi-platform public service newsroom. Every day, our staff helps audiences catch up on the latest headlines, solve the complexities of life in Southern California, and connect curious communities to one another.
The Senior Software Engineer will serve as a key team lead on the SCPR digital product team, and work to develop a digital automation landscape, tying together content management, audio and asset management, and mobile distribution systems to existing operational infrastructures.
They will manage the definition, architecture direction, development, testing, and deployment of these integrated systems, and will work in concert with station engineers at SCPR and participating external organizations to determine the best ways to integrate systems across digital and radio functions, establishing clear content management workflows around content production and distribution.
- Serve as the primary engineering lead for the digital product team, working with project stakeholders, and non-digital station engineers to architect and strategize integration solutions.
- Develop deep knowledge of current digital infrastructure to understand how this integration will need to evolve over the next 5-7 years.
- Understand business and technology goals; present options and considerations in solution development and problem solving, being mindful of the cost/benefit prospect of developing quickly versus developing for long term sustainability.
- Scale SCPR integration strategies to outside organizations.
- Work with off-site SRE team to monitor and resolve any infrastructure situations quickly and efficiently.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- 5-7 years experience to include the following:
- Experienced in developing web and mobile APIs.
- Experience developing microservices using containers (Kubernetes, Docker).
- Working understanding of AWS, including Lambda, RDS, EC2, ECS, Cloudfront, etc.
- Strong knowledge of infrastructure architecture best practices and configurations, cloud-based hosting environments such as AWS, and system issue remediation.
- Familiarity with content and asset management systems a plus.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Quick learner and ability to effectively multitask.
- Self-motivated with an innate curiosity around emerging technology and platforms.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure.
- Solid oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Familiarity with communicating technical requirements and managing technical projects to junior developers.
- Familiarity with the unique demands and requirements of media organizations a plus.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with streaming media and audio management platforms desirable (Stream Machine, Triton, HTTP Live Streaming).
- Experience in working with enterprise-level, consumer-oriented media websites and mobile programs a strong plus.
Reporting To This Position: None.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions