Integrate OmnyStudio, a third-party audio management platform application; involvement in definition, architecture direction, dev & test & deploy
Who We Are:
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public media network whose mission is to strengthen the civic and cultural bonds that unite Southern California's diverse communities by providing the highest quality news and information service on air at 89.3 KPCC, online at LAist.com and through KPCC In Person. Since our founding in 1999, SCPR has been a fast growing, innovative, multi-platform public service newsroom. Every day, our staff helps audiences catch up on the latest headlines, solve the complexities of life in Southern California, and connect curious communities to one another.
The Senior Software Engineer will work to integrate and support OmnyStudio, a third-party audio management platform application, for SCPR as well as other external organizations. This engineer will lead the development of backend software to integrate the OmnyStudio product with other core audio asset generation and management systems within SCPR and other stations. This position will require frequent travel within the United States.
They will also be involved in the definition, architecture direction, development, testing, and deployment of these integrated systems, and will work in concert with station engineers at SCPR and participating external organizations to determine the best ways to integrate systems across digital and radio functions, establishing clear content management workflows around audio production, management, and distribution.
- Serve as the primary engineering lead for this project, working with the project manager, project stakeholders, and non-digital station engineers to architect and strategize integration solutions.
- Develop deep knowledge of current and future digital infrastructure to understand how this integration will need to evolve over the next 5-7 years, and incorporate these understandings into the project scope.
- Understand the business and technology goals; present options and considerations in solution development and problem solving, being mindful of the cost/benefit prospect of developing quickly versus developing for long term sustainability.
- Scale SCPR integration strategies to outside organizations.
- Develop automated testing system to ensure code maintainability.
- Coordinate with engineers at SCPR and other participating stations on implementation, development, and deployment of final product.
- Work with off-site SRE team to monitor and resolve any infrastructure situations quickly and efficiently (SCPR only).
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- 5-7 years experience to include the following:
- Working understanding of AWS, including Lambda, RDS, EC2, ECS, Cloudfront, etc.
- Experience building server images and deploying production-ready containers (Docker, Kubernetes).
- Familiarity with content and asset management systems, including enterprise-level publishing platforms such as Bright Spot, Chorus, WordPress, Arc, etc.
- Strong knowledge of infrastructure architecture best practices and configurations, cloud-based hosting environments such as AWS and Alchemy, and system issue remediation.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Familiarity with the unique demands and requirements of media organizations.
- Quick learner and ability to effectively multitask.
- Self-motivated with an innate curiosity around emerging technology and platforms.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure.
- Solid oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Familiarity with communicating technical requirements and managing technical projects to junior developers.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with streaming media and audio functions desirable (Stream Machine, Triton, HTTP Live Streaming).
- Solid understanding of audio and radio systems supporting production, encoding, optimization, and distribution (OmnyStudio, Megaphone, Wide Orbit).
- Experience in working with enterprise-level, consumer-oriented media websites and mobile programs a strong plus.
Reporting To This Position: N/A
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Flexible working hours will be required, including evenings and week-ends.
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.