Senior Ruby/Rails developer with strong back-end skills? Like lots of time series data? Interested in the observability tooling space?
We are looking for a Senior Software Developer to join our growing engineering team. Our Software Developer will be essential for designing, developing, and supporting code that runs every part of our hosted APM service, Scout APM.
- Help design and develop all parts of our infrastructure and code base, including Rails backend
- Design maintainable data structures ingested from clients via API, stored in time series and relational databases, and queried through our Rails UI
- Develop and maintain our ingestion pipeline, backed by Kafka, processing tens of millions of incoming agent payloads per day
Background, Skills & Qualifications:
- Proficient in Ruby (Go or Rust a plus!).
- Developed on a medium to large Rails code base.
- Understanding of API interfaces and underlying data structures.
- Knowledge of time-series challenges, datastores, and trade-offs.
- Advanced knowledge of Linux systems a plus. Libc, static vs dynamic compiling and linking, SELinux/AppArmor, Seccomp, POSIX (signals, threads, sockets).
- Operational knowledge of different Linux distros. Ubuntu, RHEL and derivatives, ArchLinux, etc.
- Knowledgeable in network and systems security as well as secure coding practices.
- Operational experience with AWS infrastructure and network systems.
Our current stack
- Infrastructure: SaltStack, AWS (ELB, EC2, ElastiCache (Redis), RDS (Postgresql), S3)
- Rails/UI: jQuery, Vue, Backbone, Highcharts
- Ingestion pipeline: Go/GoLang, Kafka, Sidekiq, Redis, Postgresql
- Time series: InfluxDB
- Unlimited, responsible PTO policy
- Health, dental, vision insurance with HSA, as applicable
- Parental leave
- Dependent care FSA accounts
- Commuter benefits