Telecommute position. Work from anywhere. Online legal education company looking for senior Rails developer. Small, super friendly team.
Who We Are
Since 2007, Quimbee has helped more than 100,000 law students prepare for classes and final exams. We provide law students with access to a comprehensive database of case summaries, video lessons, practice questions, a legal dictionary, and a growing library of content. We have become one of the most widely used and trusted sites for law students, serving both institutional clients, such as Yale University, American University and University of Illinois, as well as thousands of individual law students.
Who We’re Looking For
We prefer a small and highly effective engineering team, so every new team member is vital to the success of the company.
You must be a senior, seasoned developer. Technically, we’re mostly interested in your recent Ruby on Rails and general web development experience at all levels of the stack, from front end JS apps, to dealing with search engines, site reliability and performance, and everything in between. You’ll join a small tech team, so your voice will be heard when we need to make new technical decisions as our product grows. We expect you to go beyond coding to give input on the product roadmap, design, and architecture.
Generally speaking, you should be:
- A versatile engineer. You know what you don’t know and feel comfortable learning new skills. You’re not ashamed of recognizing mistakes and take measures to avoid falling again.
- A team player. You share code-ownership as much as possible. You don't mind fixing other people’s code or stepping in to help a teammate.
- A full-stack developer. You have lots of experience building Rails applications, and you’re also comfortable writing front-end code (HTML/CSS/JS).
- A minimalist. You believe a new feature should be built only when the evidence supports it. You’re willing to push back when you believe this rule is being ignored or violated.
- A great communicator. You communicate your ideas, feedback, and criticism thoroughly, clearly, and courteously. You believe there’s no such thing as over-explaining or over-clarifying because that’s how miscommunication is avoided.
Examples of tasks you’ll be assigned to (solo or in a team)
- Investigate issues reported by our customer support team, determine impact and root cause, and solve them.
- Discuss new features with our content team and help define the best solutions possible with a focus on the business needs and expected timelines.
- Participate in the scheduled planning meetings to discuss and estimate work for the iteration.
- Keep an eye on our infrastructure monitoring and investigate potential issues (we all do ops).
Bonus Points for experience with
- 5+ years of software engineering experience, with 3+ years in Ruby on Rails specifically.
- HTML5, CSS, JS fluency. Experience with a front end framework like Ember, Angular, React, Elm or similar.
- Real understanding of how the web works under the hood. TCP, HTTP, DNS, IP, caches, etc.
- Experience writing automated tests and refactoring. We use RSpec and Capybara.
- Extensive Git (or similar) experience solving complex merging conflicts and branch rebases.
- Strong knowledge of SQL in general and DB performance analysis. We use PostgreSQL.
- B.S. Computer Science or related field.
- Solid knowledge of OOP, software architecture and design patterns.
- Experience with at least one programming language other than Ruby and JS.
- A deep understanding of the importance of building maintainable, efficient, clean code, while balancing that with the urgency of the business needs.
- Deep caring about uptime and reliability.
- The will to take responsibility for projects end-to-end from idea to completion.
What We Offer
- Hosting apps in Heroku, monitoring and scaling them up/down.
- Implementing APIs for mobile apps.
- Implementing a SaaS application or with subscription-based businesses generally.
- Implementing user-visible dashboards, graphing data and showing stats/analytics in general.
- Integrating with different analytics/events-based engines like segment.com, Google Analytics, KISSmetrics, etc.
- Contributing to Open Source.
- Join a small team who loves what they do.
- Work from home.
- A competitive salary.
- Healthcare coverage (including dental) for you and your family.
- Untracked paid time off and sick leave.
- 401(k) with 3% company matching.