Ruby on Rails Developer in Washington, DC
If you're looking for a company that works where technology touches people's lives… a company that regularly turns "that's impossible" into "Got it - what's next?"… a company that rewards performance with generous pay, health insurance and other employee benefits… IdeaCrew may be right for you.
IdeaCrew is currently seeking senior and mid-level Ruby on Rails Developers to join our innovative, hard-working team as we disrupt healthcare technology. As a member of our crew you will have the opportunity to work closely with like-minded professionals in a fast-paced, engaging, professional environment.
As a member of our development team, you will work closely with subject matter experts, chief engineers, business analysts, system architects, UI designers, SOA and RoR developers, DBA's, testers and others to design and implement APIs and Web-based applications.
Headquartered in Washington, D.C., IdeaCrew is a full-service technology consultancy that develops and operates modern technology solutions for public and private organizations. Clients in need of new ideas and better solutions turn to IdeaCrew as a trusted source and partner. Our clients do important work with purpose, and our support for that work is a renewable source for IdeaCrew's "sense of service" core value.
IdeaCrew is an open source software community supporter and contributor. Our culture encourages independent work, creative input, sharing of ideas, continuous learning and superior results.
Still not sure if we are a fit for you? Here's what our team members have to say…
Ask our Devs: What Do You Love About IdeaCrew?
"Working on open source software is so much fun because you get to show off your best work on Github."
"I love the team I work with which is highly collaborative and effective in knowledge sharing…and I love the Friday cookies."
"I love IdeaCrew because I am able to do both good and well."
Ask Our Leadership: What Makes IdeaCrew "Different"
"What we do here, truly, changes peoples lives. It's not often that a person can say that the work they have done has truly saved lives-but that's what we do. It's an honor and a privilege."
"We eat our own dog food."
Translation: We're a team that believes in accountability. At IdeaCrew, we take ownership of our actions-our successes and our failures-and we learn from them.
"When we were a team of six, huddled in a room together, we were constantly collaborating and helping one another in achieving our goals. It's our commitment to helping each other learn and succeed that has allowed us to scale from a team of 6 to 60, and its our steadfast commitment to that value that will allow us to sustain greatness as we continue to grow."
Ask our Business Analysts: What Makes Our Dev Team Great?
IdeaCrew Developers are:
- "Approachable and collaborative - able and willing to grow the understanding of those around them"
- "Able to identify root problems and understand true underlying objectives, not just respond to surface level requests"
- "Able and willing to push back on requests/designs/'requirements' that are fragile/low value/unsustainable
- "Able and willing to balance design purity with delivery pragmatism"
- "Committed to team goals - they agree to sensible deadlines/commitments and then share ownership of them"
Ready to Join the Crew? Here's What You Need to Know
A Ruby on Rails Software Developer for IdeaCrew is someone who can:
- Design and develop software for Web applications, Application Program Interfaces (APIs) and Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)
- Capture functional requirements as Use Cases and accurately estimate level of effort to develop
- Work independently to identify solutions
- Write object-oriented Web application/interface code conforming to established methodology and standards
- Design and code software service components, units, and modules that meet project specifications and development schedules
- Work closely with the project team to ensure that all technical project deliverables comply with customer standards and requirements
- Evaluate third-party software components for potential use in developing solutions
- Practice Behavior Driven Development and test-first coding methodologies
- Contribute to business discussions about the project and user interfaces
- Document development projects and create test plans
- Troubleshoot problems and provide customer support for application issues
Desired Skills & Expertise
- Four year degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience
- Three-plus years experience with Ruby on Rails
- Agile software development principles, practice and process experience (from use case definition to component delivery) experience required
- RSpec, git, Capistrano experience preferred
- RDBMS (PostgreSQL, Oracle) required
- NoSQL (MongoDB, CouchDB) database experience preferred
- SOA and Web service development experience preferred
- Experience deploying solutions on Linux platforms preferred
- RESTful Web service using XML, XSD, JSON experience preferred
- AMQP or JMS messaging experience preferred
We offer a flexible work environment, a competitive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, 401k matching and a generous vacation allowance. This position is located in Washington, DC. Relocation assistance may be available.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00 to $150,000.00 /year