Want to build what matters most with minimal code? Interested in using RoR as the full-stack framework with Hotwire, StimulusJS as sprinkles?
Context is an international travel company, founded in 2003, that champions the transformative power of learning — whether on the ground or online.
For 18 years, Context exclusively ran scholar-led tours in over 60 cities around the globe, led by MA- and Ph.D.-level experts that could go beneath the surface, diving deep into art, history, and culture. In March 2020, in response to the pandemic, we launched a digital product, Context Learning, to bring our trademark, expert-guided experiences to online audiences all over the globe.
Led by an all-star leadership team with venture-capital backing, Context is now rebuilding its traditional on-the-ground tours business, while simultaneously scaling its virtual learning business. We believe we are positioned to offer a product that is unlike any other in the market — real life experiences complemented by online education, blended into one comprehensive learning experience.
- You are a positive, thoughtful, compassionate person, and also a good writer (or on the way to becoming one).
- You are a self-manager. Project definitions (but not detailed tickets) would be shaped primarily by our product managers. However, as a senior engineer, you would be the one in charge of figuring out what's needed to get the project done.
- You care about the outcome of our work. Some people call this trait product-minded. Our work is not “done” until we witness the outcome.
- You have contributed to pre-technical assessments on project ideas before projects start, so product managers can make sound trade-off calls, and appropriately scope projects.
- You have built and maintained one or more production web applications built on Ruby on Rails.
- You have scaled web applications and maintained high up-time.
- You have a solid understanding of OOP principles.
- You practice TDD.
- You have a solid understanding of the spectrum of technical underpinnings of web applications, including database management systems.
- You are familiar with git and GitHub flow.
- You have built CI or CD pipelines.
- We are a remote-first company. Currently, we would like to have 4-hour overlaps between your work hours and east coast work hours.
- You have built or played with Hotwire-based web applications.
- You have contributed to OSS projects.
- You have practiced or are open to pair-programming.
P.S. We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds. At Context, we are ultimately building a global community of mutual understanding and respect. Therefore, diversity matters.
P.P.S. Unfortunately, we are not able to sponsor VISAs at this time.