The RealReal is the world's largest online marketplace for authenticated, resale luxury goods. Through our work, we are committed to contrib...
The RealReal is the world's largest online marketplace for authenticated, resale luxury goods. Through our work, we are committed to contributing to a sustainable future, both for fashion and for our employees. Authenticity is a core component of our business; we value it in our products and we celebrate it across our teams by encouraging every TRR employee to bring their REAL authentic selves to work each day. We're hiring, and we'd love for you to join our dynamic team!
At The RealReal, we are building a world class DevOps culture by growing and investing in our Technical Operations team to support the growth of the Company and the Technology organization. As a Sr. Cloud Database Engineer, you will be exposed to the latest technology, a data-driven culture, while immersed in a friendly, helpful engineering organization. As a member of a high-impact devops team, you'll be able to shape the evolution of our cloud data tier and represent our team to the rest of the organization.
You will help lead the administration and operation of our relational cloud-based databases that underpin The RealReal platform. Major projects may include database migrations and upgrades, high-availability implementations, metrics and observability improvements, performance tuning, and more. Bring your thorough, practiced understanding of databases to help shape The RealReal's production database infrastructure and Technology culture.
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Design, build, and evolve our database infrastructure across production and non-production environments, strategically employing automation where possible
- Design, build and evolve our code pipelines, specifically around data migrations, designing and building automation in order to enable agile software development, using self-service where possible
- Collaborate efficiently and effectively with Engineers from various Technology teams (Security, DataScience, Application, IT) on complex problems involving functionality, scaling, and performance
- Build and deliver training and best practices to Technology teams to improve the overall quality of database queries and performance
- Drive ad-hoc troubleshooting teams towards solutions during emergency production incidents
- Collaborate with Security and Engineering teams to ensure data privacy standards are met based on the data we are maintaining, especially with respect to GDPR, CCPA, and other pertinent data privacy requirements as set forth by Security
- Quickly absorb context and knowledge while ramping up and using that to build and bolster related documentation. Turning obscure business knowledge into well-known and understood collective knowledge
- Keep a strong level of quality and velocity in your work, while collaborating and reporting when appropriate
- Exercise and promote security best practices with respect to database management
- Participate in an on-call rotation on a regular basis and respond to incidents reliably and professionally. Lead technical troubleshooting if necessary
What You Bring To The Role
- 6+ years experience building and maintaining highly available cloud based relational database infrastructure in AWS, specifically experience with RDS Aurora MySQL and RDS Aurora Postgres required
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code using Terraform or CloudFormation
- Experience with MySQL and Postgres transactional management, indexing strategies & maintenance, backup & recovery models, and SQL query performance tuning
- Experience with database security to ensure data / databases are fully secured and comply with corporate cybersecurity policy
- Experience with data privacy regulations and how it pertains to maintaining data within our core database infrastructure
- Understanding and knowledge with respect to SOX compliance requirements and how it pertains to databases
- Understanding of data modeling and application of modeling techniques to ensure development & implementation efforts meet integration and performance expectations
- Expert in automating repeatable processes using script languages such as Bash or other preferred languages
- Experience developing and maintaining non-production database environments to include automation and self-service refresh processes, such as AWS DMS
- Experience working with Data Engineering and Data Science teams to support data pipelines, such as GCP DataStream
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle, experience using SDLC-style development in automation and doing code reviews
- Experience with ORMs such as ActiveRecord or Ecto
- Use of git and Github workflows and knowledgeable about GitOps
- Experience working with a remote-first team using tools such as Slack and the Google Workspace
- Bonus knowledge: Kubernetes, Ruby on Rails, Elixir, Kafka, OpenSearch, DynamoDB, ElastiCache Redis
The expected salary range for this role is $142,127 - $179,305. To determine starting pay we carefully consider a variety of factors, including primary work location and an evaluation of a candidate's skills, experience, market demands, and internal parity. Additionally, salary is just one component of TRR's total rewards package. Depending on role, employees may also be eligible for a bonus program, incentive pay and benefits.
The RealReal is the world's largest online marketplace for authenticated, resale luxury goods, with more than 30 million members. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe and reliable platform for consumers to buy and sell their luxury items. We have hundreds of in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by thousands of brands across numerous categories-including women's and men's fashion, fine jewelry and watches, art and home-in support of the circular economy. We make selling effortless with free virtual appointments, in-home pickup, drop-off and direct shipping. We do all of the work for consignors, including authenticating, using AI and machine learning to determine optimal pricing, photographing and listing their items, as well as handling shipping and customer service. At our 13 retail locations, including our twelve shoppable stores, customers can sell, meet with our experts and receive free valuations.
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records.At TRR, People Come First. That's why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our Diversity Equity and Inclusion program here .
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.