We are looking for a Ruby Rails developer to work on a contract for USCIS in Washington DC (Next to Union Station)
Project Overview: As a Full-Stack Ruby on Rails Developer, you will be an integral member of a small technology team working on external facing applications. The Full-Stack Ruby on Rails Developer supports the improvement of their existing products and helps create their next generation.
Successful candidates have a passion for developing applications that end-users love, are comfortable with independent and collaborative work, and are at home in a small organization where they can make a real difference. Candidates should be prepared to share an example of code they have developed and be willing to take a coding test.
Position Description: The team develops tools for public facing sites, and places a strong emphasis on user experience for immigration-related sites. Responsibilities:
• Design and implement reliable and robust middle-tiers services
• Analyze and improve existing front end applications and propose improvement solutions • Work closely with other engineers to define requirements and implement highly maintainable web applications and platforms • Conduct system integration testing • Design and implement reusable UX components and styles
• Support deployment and release management • Provide transparency and working progress on deliverables • Identify metrics to measure system health and performance
• Work with product and design teams to flush out technical considerations of user requirements and stories.
Qualifications: • Knowledge in identifying and managing potential project risks and challenges • Knowledge in REST API design concepts and JSON/XML
• Good understanding of Ruby on Rails components and Ruby gems including Rack, Nokogiri loading mechanism, configuration, Active-ecosystem (Active Model, Active Support, Active Record etc), Action Pack, Railties etc
• Experience in User Centric, web responsive frameworks such as Bootstrap, JQuery, HTML, CSS, Ajax etc
• Strong experience in databases such as Oracle, PostgreSQL • Good knowledge on web app servers like passenger and nginx and web application servers like Unicorn to host Ruby on Rails applications
• Able to show pride and ownership of work and help others to achieve the same
• Excellent organizational and communication skills
• Demonstrated teamwork skills with a solid analytical background
• UNIX fundamentals
Additional Requirement: U.S. Citizen is required for the position. Candidate must successfully pass a Federal Background Investigation, Active Public Trust Clearance or the ability to obtain one