Motus Recruiting and Staffing is hiring for a long term Ruby on Rails Developer contract located in Vancouver, WA
This group develops and implements customized technology solutions to support Control Centers. The position assists in interpreting design specifications, assists in technical design, coding software, and following test and deployment procedures, complying with project documentation requirements, and working on a development team using a mix of development methodologies including Agile
This is the only group that does custom design, development, and maintenance of grid operations software solutions. Our group consists of six sub-teams, of .Net and Java expertise across multiple systems. Candidates must have strong technical and team skills to be able to do the job. Utility experience is ideal. Our team members must be able to learn and understand the complex interactions between multiple interconnected systems in order to build creative solutions and find and fix unique problems. We look for people who possess intuition and sleuthing skills beyond the basic diagnostic skills. Candidates also need the ability to understand and fulfill the various compliance requirements that regulate our business, supporting the safety and security of our systems
With Manager's oversight and approval:
· Use existing standards, procedures and practices to design, code, test, deploy, configure and support the outage system.
Analyze, estimate, test, code, and deploy application/system changes under the prevailing change management procedures and requirements.
·Work directly with the Business and Technical Team to document and implement user stories/change requests.
·Work with compliance staff to verify that system remains in a compliant state including architecture and modeling the application.
·Productively integrate with an existing Agile development team.
·Serve a critical role as a programmer on an existing XP based development team.
· Attend and participate in team meetings (design, iteration planning, stand-up, etc.).
· Apply existing standards, procedures and practices as appropriate.
·Collaborate with software developers, testers and users throughout the System Development Life Cycle.
Support compliance by verifying adherence to standard requirements and documentation measures.
·Provide emergency and backup support for existing systems and functions.
· With manager oversight and approval, provide support for ongoing projects:
- Break down technical work into tasks and provide reasonable time estimates for completion.
- Review other developers' code and provide technical constructive feedback where necessary to verify that the code follows programming best practices.
- Communicate status of project development work to project team, users, information system owners and others.
- Analyze and propose technical designs that satisfy functional and non-functional requirements which also optimize the long-term maintainability of the system.
- Identify and escalate technical bottlenecks and impediments to the project manager and information system owner.
- Produce required project technical documentation
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering or a directly related field is preferred.
o With an applicable Bachelor's degree, 8 years of experience is required.
o Without an applicable Bachelor's degree, 12 years of experience is required.
Experience should include demonstrated software programming work experience in Computer Science/Information Technology and developing and implementing technology solutions
Required Technical Skills & Experience:
- Experience with multiple programming languages
Preferred Skills & Experiences:
Demonstrated experience developing:
· Ruby on Rails applications
· Web Services
Experience with any or all of the following:
· Rails 3 through 5
· Source Control Systems (preferably Subversion)
· C# .NET
· Experience working in Agile development team (preferably XP based)
·System Administration experience
·Understanding and experience applying:
· Object oriented programming principles
· Design patterns
· Current experience practicing Test Driven Development
· Ability to adapt to changing requirements and processes
·Knowledge of Agile development methodologies/practices
·Ability to troubleshoot and resolve performance problems at various layers of a system (application, database, server, network, etc.).
·Strong ability to quickly become familiar with existing systems and codebases
· Valid U.S. Driver's License is required.
· Emergency and backup support - Required to provide limited personal contact information (phone numbers only) for emergency call-outs, carry a supplied cell phone/pager (if applicable), and work non-core hours when requested. May be required to work on an after-hours on-call rotation with other team members.
** We are unable to accommodate corp to corp candidates **
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.