Command Center Engineers are responsible for the facility-facing web applications (admin interfaces) that control our phones, tablets, kiosk...
Command Center Engineers are responsible for the facility-facing web applications (admin interfaces) that control our phones, tablets, kiosks, and video visitation stations. These are mostly Ruby on Rails applications using either native Rails server-side rendering or serving as JSON based API's to modern front-end stacks such as ReactJS. At Command Center's core lies a robust search experience powered by Elasticsearch and our data pipeline.
GTL's San Francisco office embraces a unique style of Agile software development where each engineer contributes to a fixed set of systems (systems they own) by being staffed to short-lived ad hoc teams that are assembled around single roadmap epics. These teams are fully cross-functional and contain expert contributors from each of the systems touched in the epic. In addition, you'll be a member of various System Owner groups which look after individual systems long term. It's an exciting combination of highly focused business driven work alongside broader architectural projects centered on a system's longer-term technical vision. Our ideal candidate enjoys working cross functionally with Designers and Project Managers and doesn't shy away from occasionally doing a bit of everything when needed.
- Intimate understanding and command of one's application architectures, data persistence patterns, build pipelines and business rules.
- Participate in backlog grooming, story-mapping, sprint planning, sprint review, and retrospectives for the ad hoc teams assembled around said epics.
- Refine, estimate, and decompose user stories into technical implementation tasks in close collaboration with your peers.
- Create quality documentation, including flowcharts, diagrams, and written documentation describing features and functionality.
- Ensure that coded features and functionality meet requirements, including those related to system performance, response, redundancy, security, metrics, and tracking.
- Maintain excellent test coverage for every piece of code you write.
- Participate in Crucible code reviews by offering insightful feedback and direction to your peers.
- Serve has an escalation target for production issues.
Additional Technical Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field; 4 years of equivalent experience in lieu of a degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience as a traditional web application developer with mastery of the common protocols, paradigms, and patterns.
- Experience deploying and maintaining production mobile applications.
- Experience with agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc.),
- Project Management:
- JIRA, or similar ticketing system
- Crucible, or similar code review and collaboration system
- Engineering Tools:
- Git required; Gitlab is a plus
- Jenkins, Crucible, or similar tool is a plus
- Languages, Frameworks, Technologies:
- Ruby on Rails
- React, Backbone, AngularJS, HTML5, CSS/LESS/SASS
- REST API's (Bonus points for Ruby on Rails experience)
- MySQL / MariaDB
- NGINX and/or Apache
Preferred/Optional Technical Skills:
- VOIP/SIP Asterisk
GTL & Telmate. Two technology leaders, one powerful opportunity.
GTL, an innovation leader in correctional technology, education solutions that assist in rehabilitating inmates, and payment services solutions for government. GTL leads the fields of correctional technology, education, and government payment services with visionary solutions and customized products that integrate seamlessly to deliver security, financial value, and operational efficiencies while aiding inmate rehabilitation and reducing recidivism rates.
With the recent acquisition of Telmate, GTL has strengthened its suite of solutions for the corrections industry and expanded its community corrections portfolio with Telmate Guardian, a smartphone-based GPS monitoring solution. As a trusted industry leader, GTL provides services to over 2 million inmates in more than 2,500 correctional facilities in the United States and Canada, including 33 U.S. departments of corrections, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and many large city/county/provincial facilities.
GTL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.