About Legislative Council
Colorado Legislative Council Staff, the nonpartisan research agency of the Colorado General Assembly, is accepti...
About Legislative Council
Colorado Legislative Council Staff, the nonpartisan research agency of the Colorado General Assembly, is accepting applications for a Ruby on Rails Software Developer to join our application development team. This team is responsible for maintaining and developing the information systems used by the General Assembly, its staff, and the general public.
About the Position
We re seeking a motivated and experienced Rails Software Developer to be a part of our engaged and enthusiastic development team to develop and support software solutions for the Colorado Legislature. As a team member, you will make an impact on the future of legislative engagement with the community in Colorado, have an opportunity to energize your career, and be an integral part of our success.
You will be responsible for the development and maintenance of our new website. Our digital platform is being built on the Ruby on Rails framework, but an understanding of a wide range of web technologies is a plus. The current website was built using the Drupal framework, so an ideal candidate will have some experience with or an ability to quickly learn Drupal. You will be providing day-to-day support for the CMS platform, as well as extending its functionality with custom module development and testing the quality and security of your code. Demonstrable experience with development of Ruby on Rails systems is key and will involve the ability to handle complicated backend tasks such as migration, search customization and web services programming.
Additionally, advanced (tier 2) support, issue resolution/documentation and training for the new website are also part of the job requirements for this position.
The position is full time, onsite, and the candidate must be a US resident.
The preferred educational background is a Bachelor s degree in Computer Science/Information Technology/Engineering/Math/Physics from an accredited university or equivalent work experience.
Required Technical Skills
- Solid and verifiable experience developing software using Ruby on Rails platform
- Understanding of Rails best practices
- Experience creating and consuming open and/or private APIs
- Strong working knowledge of Git and command line tools
- Experience using best practice version control methodologies and tools such as GIT or SVN
- Experience with Relational Databases
Bonus Technical Skills
- Familiarity with cloud hosting providers (AWS, GCP, Heroku, DigitalOcean, etc.)
- Familiarity with testing frameworks: RSpec, Minitest, Cucumber
- Experience with PHP
- Exposure to Continuous Integration/Continuous Development
- Have knowledge of modern frameworks such as Node.js, React.js, and Angular.js
- Have an interest in, understanding of, or experience with Agile development methodology
- Experience with Automated Testing Tools
- Drupal Core or Contrib module maintainer or contributor
- Active in Drupal community (Drupal.org profile, IRC, local user groups, etc.)
- Knowledge of Solr or SearchAPI
- Experience with SSO
- Experience with Acquia platform
- Google Analytics
The ideal candidate will be expected to perform, at the minimum, the following:
- Active participation in functional and technical design improvement discussions
- Review of, and contribution toward, functional, technical, and design specifications
- Code to best practices, provide constructive feedback and understand flexible design
- Provide end users with personable and timely support of applications
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair of applications
- Review and analyze issues or defects and their impact on applications, users, and processes
- Proactively contribute toward improving system stability, performance, and reliability
- Organizing, reviewing, updating or creating technical support and end user documentation
- Answering, researching, resolving and/or escalating issues or questions with tracking tickets
- Provide assistance with quality assurance planning and testing
- Assist with and/or perform thorough regression tests when applicable
- Miscellaneous tasks and assignments necessary for system support and maintenance
- Aptitude and willingness to learn and master unfamiliar processes and/or technical concepts
- High attention to detail and well organized
- Eagerness to accept and complete assigned tasks
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively across cross-functional teams
- Ability to meet deadlines while multitasking across multiple projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Aptitude and desire to mentor and share knowledge/ideas with colleagues and managers
- Ability to accurately discern, document, and follow oral instruction
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- provided by Dice