Did you know the average age of the independent financial advisor is 59? Over 80% of those practice owners don't have a tra...
Did you know the average age of the independent financial advisor is 59? Over 80% of those practice owners don't have a transition/succession plan. With over $2.5 trillion in assets controlled by advisors in their 60's and a lack of industry focus on growing next generation talent, the independent financial services industry is headed towards the perfect storm. Advisors aren't planning either because they don't want to retire or can't retire because their lifestyle is largely cashflow dependent. For those advisors that do want to plan, they find the process far too difficult and there is no easy way to find an adequate buyer. The result is advisors and their financial institutions are in jeopardy of having their existing clients walk across the streets to the banks. So how can a company motivate its advisors to care about transition without implementing policies, creating friction and frustrating independent advisors? How can we defrost this largely frozen marketplace?
The answer is FindBob. We're a startup that makes it easy to buy & sell a book of business. It's a win-win: financial institutions protect existing assets & generate new revenue streams, while advisors maximize the value of their most precious asset: their Book of Business - hence our name :-)
At FindBob our small team has a penchant for solving big problems. If you love and thrive on keeping up to date with and gaining a deep understanding of the latest web technologies, you will love working with us. FindBob is as much about web design as it is about employing diverse areas of Computer Science.
- Participate within an agile development process to help build out new features to the FindBob platform
- Work collaboratively with management to iterate/refine on product requirements and deliver product features to match.
- Contribute to the test repository for all your changes to help demonstrate that your work - works.
- Manage the release process for your changes and push to production
- Participate in demos to show off changes that you've made
- CS degree or Working towards a CS degree or related field
- Experience with the creation of web applications. APIs + Web application separation.
- You bring an understanding of what it takes to engineer software products. In other words, you understand that engineering consists of prototype > design > build > test > release
- To reiterate, you understand that without understanding how to test, you're not an engineer.
- Ruby, Ruby on Rails, and SaaS experience are a big plus
- You have experience with Source control concepts. Git or Mercurial experience a plus.
- To apply, include your resume, a link to your portfolio or work samples and a brief introduction. If you have them, include links to your GitHub accounts.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Autonomy to get the job done as you see fit
- Opportunity to transform an industry
- Flexible working arrangements
- Excellent working space located in Toronto & Waterloo
Headquartered in Toronto, FindBob is aiming to address the problem of lack of transition planning in the financial services industry by introducing the motivation to grow your practice. We're a group of financial service professionals & tech innovators who looked at the current state of the industry, became frustrated by advisor's leaving growth opportunities on the table, consumers being left in the lurch because advisors had ignored their fiduciary obligations, and decided to do something big about it. Our team is focused on utilizing technology, design and data to align advisors, financial institutions, and consumer's interests.
FindBob is a graduate of the Founders Institute, a proud member of the Accelerator Centre in Waterloo and are members of the current cohort of the Global Insurance Accelerator in Des Moines, Iowa.