Principal Software Engineer
In Research and Development IT, we deliver complex enterprise systems to help Research Scientists at our client...
Principal Software Engineer
In Research and Development IT, we deliver complex enterprise systems to help Research Scientists at our client solve their toughest business problems. We bring together multi-disciplinary, highly-skilled technical teams to deliver high-quality technical solutions and services that deliver business value.
The Principal Software Engineer is a key role on the team, enabling science by leading the architecture, design, implementation, testing, deployment, and maintenance of new and existing custom-built applications and COTS systems that add demonstrable value to the scientific operations of Research & Development.
Their stack currently includes Java, Ruby on Rails, Angular 2, AWS, Red Hat Linux, Ansible, MySQL, Oracle, MongoDB, and some legacy technologies and tools. The Principal Software Engineer will be comfortable with this technology landscape, but will also bring a broad understanding of modern technologies, architectural principles and design patterns, and will formulate a technology roadmap that aligns with business priorities, scales for the future, and disrupts when necessary to continually improve and deliver value.
Skills and expertise you will bring to the table include:
* 7+ years' experience in systems implementations with a focus on both custom web application development & configuration of and integration with commercial-off-the-shelf software systems
* Expertise in multiple technology stacks; preferred experience in either Java or Ruby, yet experience with other languages and technologies is also important
* Proven ability to adapt to new languages, frameworks, technologies as the need arises; previous experience in a role selecting, adopting, and using technology that makes business sense, is supportable, and scalable
* Significant software development and infrastructure architecture experience in designing and architecting enterprise web applications
* Experience leading and inspiring software development teams
* Demonstrable skill in collaborating with other IT teams, vendor partners, internal collaborators, and architects to deliver solutions; advocacy for a DevOps approach to the software development lifecycle
* Solid understanding of the practical application of Agile development methods and leading software development teams in an Agile/Lean/Continuous Delivery environment
* Ability to formulate and articulate the technical and political implications of creating and delivering transformative technical solutions in an innovative, high-growth, demanding business area
* Experience working directly with senior IT leaders in an advisory role on technical strategies
* Interest in and experience mentoring junior developers and driving technical discussions and decisions
* Progressive industry experience; Information Technology / Biotechnology / Pharmaceutical preferred
The role you will play includes:
* Collaborating with and influencing others to build the next generation of applications to support the ever-evolving needs of our client's scientists
* Understanding the needs and challenges across the business; helping to define roadmaps and technology solutions that will support the business strategies and goals of our client's Research & Development teams
* Acting as an expert technical resource for enterprise architecture, solution architecture, software development, and testing
* Defining and driving adoption of best practices in code health, testing, and maintainability
* Maintaining strong expertise and knowledge of current and emerging technologies and products; evaluating and implementing new technologies, development frameworks, and languages
* Mentoring on approach and execution of solutions, coaching on technologies, and establishing a team-wide comprehension of solution capabilities and direction
* Working hands-on at all levels of the application stack, including back-end, front-end, and operations; coding on a regular basis
Type:DirectLocation:Tarrytown, NY, USA