We’re looking to hire experienced engineers to join our agile, exceptionally talented and rapidly growing engineering team. As a Principal Software E
Opportunity@Work is a nonprofit social enterprise with a mission to expand access to career opportunities so that all Americans can work, learn and earn to their full potential in a dynamic economy. Our work aims to leverage and build the collective capacities of employers, educators, tech innovators, social entrepreneurs, and civic institutions to unlock opportunity for over one million Americans in the next decade. By transforming hiring practices, expanding learning pathways and pioneering talent financing, Opportunity@Work and our partners will equip Americans currently overlooked by today's labor market practices to build skills and be hired into well-paid, in-demand jobs across the country.
About the Role
We’re looking to hire experienced engineers to join our agile, exceptionally talented and rapidly growing engineering team. As a Principal Software Engineer you will design, architect and build our platform, REST APIs and backend services to power our Talent Marketplace platform.
- Responsible for owning entire pieces of the platform (microservices, REST & GraphQL APIs) from research to end-to-end implementation, making technical decisions that impact the success of the company.
- Learn through code review, technical guidance, and mentorship, while helping others grow through those same means.
- Learn to identify opportunities to compound the growth and efficiency of our team.
- Use Kubernetes, Docker, and Terraform to deploy and scale our microservices
- Use the Linkerd service mesh to manage our microservices with unified service discovery, routing, and failure handling
- Build a flawless developer experience with interactive documentation and examples, clean interfaces and dashboards, and beautiful widgets
- Use tools like Prometheus and OpenTracing to improve our infrastructure as we scale
- Build custom integrations
- Implement new features like real-time user analytics and business intelligence
- Use analytics tools like Mixpanel to analyze and iterate on our user interfaces to help achieve ease of use
- Work with web and mobile engineers to design and build APIs to power a talent marketplace
- Work on scaling various pieces of infrastructure including search to support
- Work with Product and Data Science teams to drive various growth initiatives
- Work in an agile environment with a distributed team.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Exceptional ability to work anywhere in the technical stack and delivering quality code
- Evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Strong analytical thinking engineers who have experience with web best practices such as A/B testing, test coverage.
- 8+ years of industry experience building scalable web software, large-scale distributed systems, APIs.
- Ability to write high performance production quality code.
- Experience and interest in working with other engineers and cross functional partners in product and design to build a world class online and offline products.
- Proactiveness, good communication and fast learning.
Compensation and Benefits
Opportunity@Work offers competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. Some of our benefits include medical/dental/vision, life insurance, both short and long-term disability, flex savings accounts, pre- and post-tax retirement accounts with company match, commuter benefits, professional development funding, flexibility to work remotely when necessary, paid parental leave and generous paid time off.
Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process.
Opportunity@Work is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits and termination.