SaaS Monoliths: Rails 7/6.1, Postgres, Sidekiq, Hotwire, RSpec, Heroku. Influenced by Heroku Values, Shape Up, The Majestic Monolith, Service Objects
About the Job at PostPilot.com / Handwrite.io
You’ll pitch in on building our Ruby on Rails + Hotwire app(s) as we continue to grow, add new features, keep them fast, and ratchet up their reliability & robustness.
This position includes building features, deep-dive debugging, internal tooling, web performance, and internal support, with a bit of Robots and hardware thrown in. Day in and day out you’ll get to the bottom of multiple different issues across the stack and across projects. You can expect an inclusive, eager team who’ll support you in it, rise to challenges with you, and grow together.
Here are real examples of the work we’ve done lately that might help you to get a better idea of what this job entails:
- Built a fleet of handwriting robots driven by Ruby on Rails.
- Built support for single-use unique coupon codes in direct mail campaigns
- Built the ability for Shopify brands (our users) to send real handwritten notes (postcards in envelopes, with real pens) with live in-browser previews
- Created a Public API for sending postcards and handwritten notes in our production facility.
- Developing a load balancing strategy for “expensive” Sidekiq background jobs that were crushing external APIs and our queues.
- Improved developer experience with Heroku (Pipelines, CI, and Review apps), Github Actions
- Deep dive into expensive queries in our application and working to improve performance and memory consumption from Postgres to Rails
- Built a webhook event publishing system for events from our production facility.
- Upgraded our main application to Rails 7 with importmaps and hotwire.
We’re looking for candidates with different levels of experience, who are ready for a similar breadth and depth of work. There are a lot of areas of responsibility! Solid fundamentals with software development, systems, troubleshooting, and teamwork pave the way.
We value people who have an opinion but can commit even if they disagree. People who understand the value of others being heard. This is only possible with direct feedback, openness to each others’ experiences, and willingness to show up for each other.
You can expect a team that listens, and to be heard. You can expect to be counted on. We care about what you can do and how you do it, not about how you got here. This is a remote-friendly job. You’re free to work where you work best. The bulk of our work is written via Slack and Github, from pull request discussion to team chats, and video recordings with a few video calls thrown in.
We require your normal workday overlays at least 4 hours with the United States east coast workday.