Oversee Engineering at Metis. The job combines management with getting your hands dirty, building products, and deploying code.
The Lead Software Engineer oversees the Engineering Department and reports directly to the President of Metis. This is an opportunity to dive into exciting existing products; explore and develop new tools, systems, and platforms; manage another full-stack engineer; work closely with the different department heads to develop action plans and roadmaps; and make sure our security and privacy policies are up to date. The engineering team also works closely with the product team to create an accurate roadmap and deliver new products.
The ideal candidate communicates effectively, leads by example, thinks outside the box, and is willing to help with tasks outside of the typical day-to-day work.
In this role, you will get to combine management with getting your hands dirty and deploying code. You get to make large decisions about architecture, process, and Metis' roadmap. You will directly impact thousands of students and alumni, as well as grow our online education efforts with the potential to reach millions. You will get to work with an amazing team that prioritizes work as well as life outside the office. You will have access to a group of very skilled data scientists who are always willing to help out and build something cool. This is a job that combines the hands-on nature of writing code and deploying to production with management and directly impacting the company vision.
- Fluent in the following languages/frameworks/tools:
- Ruby on Rails
- HTML/CSS (SCSS preferable)
- At least one front end framework (angular, react, etc)
- Relational databases
- Very strong knowledge of HTTP, caching, page rendering, mobile optimization, etc
- Passionate about UX/UI
- Familiar with APIs, REST
- Experience with Responsive Web Design patterns
Nice to Haves
- Knowledge about Heroku and Heroku pipelines
- Experience with Continuous Integration
- Experience with Postgres
- Familiarity with Zapier and AWS
- Experience in React and/or Redux
- Familiarity with Salesforce
- Prior management experience
Applicants must have US work authorization without the need for sponsorship.