We're life-long learners, creative thinkers, technology enthusiasts and innovators redefining the way world languages are learned and taught in interactive and intuitive environments. We love what we do and we're proud of the customer-facing products we create! We believe in writing tests first, pair programming and using agile methodologies. We're working on some extremely cool projects right now in the areas of speech recognition, adaptive learning algorithms, advanced learning analytics and natural language processing and we want you to be a part of that! Our ideal candidate doesn't think in boxes, is innately curious, and shares our enthusiasm for developing best-in-class solutions to complex technical challenges.
We're looking for an experienced Lead Engineer with strong Ruby/ Rails skills to lead specific feature development projects and will be relied on to provide architectural guidance for other engineers. As Lead Engineer you'll have opportunities to collaborate with a strong team of developers and engineering leadership to define the roadmap, process, budgeting and architectural planning as well as drive various aspects of lifestyle development (planning, design, standups, iteration review and, feature releases etc.).
Our technology stack:
- Persistence: MySQL, Postgres, Redis, ElasticSearch
- Automation: Chef, Cloudformation
- Hosting: Rackspace, AWS
What you bring to the party:
- BA/ BS in computer science or other related field or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience working in web deployment
- Previous success building and developing high-performing engineering teams in dynamic agile environments
- Experience building and deploying high-capacity applications in cloud environments (AWS)
- Experience with MySQL, Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch, and or Redshift
- Experience with Linux (especially Ubuntu/ Debian)
- Proficiency with object oriented analysis and design
- Experience managing and working well with geographically distributed teams as well as highly collaborative environments
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Some proficiency in Spanish is a strong plus
Our benefits package includes life/health/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), educational assistance, PTO and paid holidays as well as company lunches, onsite fitness classes, access to a nifty wellness portal, monthly chair massages and cool colleagues.
Why join us? We at Vista Higher Learning are proud to say that we're not just another publisher. We're the leading specialized language publisher for U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from other publishers. We're passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring a fresh new approach to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures.
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, and/or protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by applicable law.