Tuft & Needle was formed in 2012 when co-founders JT and Daehee left their jobs as software engineers. After a terrible experience trying to...
Tuft & Needle was formed in 2012 when co-founders JT and Daehee left their jobs as software engineers. After a terrible experience trying to buy a mattress, the team set out to make a mattress and experience that people could love.
We view Tuft & Needle not as a mattress company that makes software, but as a software company that sells mattresses. We're a small team of passionate full-stack developers. We frequently seek out advice from each other and believe in continuous learning. We're incredibly focused on results and don't expect specific, regular hours in the office (we have a pretty sweet office though). Although sometimes we pair program, we aren't religious about it. We believe process should be extracted from things that are working well.
We're looking for another full-stack Ruby/Rails developer to join our growing engineering team in Phoenix. You'll get to work on tuftandneedle.com as well as our internal customer experience and administration systems while collaborating with the rest of the engineering team on strategic decisions.
Our Technical Environment:
Our stack consists primarily of Ruby, Rails, Postgres, React.js, CoffeeScript, HAML and SCSS and is deployed to Heroku and S3. We use CircleCI for continuous integration and believe strongly in continuous deployment. Refactor without fear and ship daily! We also believe in leveraging quality APIs and tools.
Values of the Engineering Team:
- End-to-end ownership: Each project gets an Engineering owner that is responsible for the success of the project.
- Launch early and iterate: Done is better than perfect. Although we maintain a minimum standard of quality, we believe in getting value out of features and enhancements as soon as possible, while rapidly iterating.
- Do things that don't scale: We believe that our software should automate existing manual processes to save time, rather than preempt potential needs to avoid building unnecessary software. Our litmus test for deciding on new features is "Has the team done this manually first?". Of course, we're pragmatic even about this value.
- Pragmatism: In a growing startup, our philosophy is that it's important to be pragmatic. We are rarely dogmatic and use Judo moves to efficiently solve problems.
Qualities We're Looking For:
- A love for learning
- Phoenix locals (or those willing to relocate) strongly preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to see projects through to completion
Time & Benefits:
- Full time, 40 hours a week
- Located in Downtown Phoenix- reliable transportation to office is necessary
- Free mattress
- Health benefits for employee and dependents
- Paid Maternity/Paternity leave
- 401k with company match
- Generous vacation and sick leave policy
- Monthly company events
- Snacks and drinks stocked in the fridge
- Casual dress code, open office environment
Tuft & Needle was founded based on the idea that it was possible to create high quality products and charge a fair price to customers. Launched in 2012 by cofounders Daehee Park and JT Marino, Tuft & Needle was the first vertically integrated ecommerce mattress company to focus on selling one perfect product. With over 50,000 pieces of feedback, Tuft & Needle has made over 100 revisions to the product since its launch. The Tuft & Needle Mattress is the #1 rated product in the bedroom furniture category on Amazon.
We know you have a lot of choices when searching for your next career opportunity and greatly appreciate that you'd take the time to consider Tuft & Needle and get to know our team.