About the Role:
Common is seeking a Software Engineer to help us build software that will allow Common to grow from 500 to 50,000 members. T...
About the Role:
Common is seeking a Software Engineer to help us build software that will allow Common to grow from 500 to 50,000 members. This person will work with the Digital Product team and stakeholders from the finance and sales teams to build software that enable them to do their jobs quicker and better. Our ultimate goal is to take some really complex business and community needs and build creative and intuitive solutions to them with software.
You will spend some of your time around a whiteboard with the rest of the team discussing the trade-offs of normalizing a data model. You will spend some of your time interviewing the customers of the products you are building to determine the best ways to design or implement a feature. And, of course, you ll be writing code and building these products.
- You are a T-shaped generalist with a breadth of diverse technical skills and deep expertise in one or two areas (e. g. domain modeling, payment systems, booking systems)
- You have experience designing complex relational database schemas and domain models
- You have designed, developed and/or maintained a production Ruby on Rails application (Sinatra or Django counts, too!)
- You are a stickler for code quality, style and process, including insisting upon well factored, well tested and thoroughly QAed code
- You communicate openly, honestly and kindly, knowing when and how to give appropriate feedback to people, both on their code and personal interactions
- You are comfortable designing and implementing both in a team setting (e. g. pair programming) and on your own
- You are a lifelong learner and eagerly interested in the craft of both personal development and software development it s a journey, not a destination
- You have worked in an industry with substantial complexity and regulation (e. g. health, legal, accounting, banking, etc) or consulted with these industries
- You built or integrated with payment processing platforms or transactions systems at scale
- You have experience developing booking systems and wrangling models with overlapping date ranges
- You have 2+ years' experience