Join a civic movement to reinvent how the government serves the public in a digital world.
Skylight is at the forefront of a civic movement to reinvent how the government serves the public in a digital world. We’re looking for experienced developers to join our talented team of technologists in driving this movement forward.
We work in small, fast, agile teams to create exceptional customer experiences and enduring solutions out of the government’s most complex design and technology challenges. The work is challenging, but highly rewarding: millions of people — from veterans to immigrants — depend on government services to fulfill their needs every day.
As a member of the Skylight team, you will:
- Modernize the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ E-Verify system, which is used by government and private-sector organizations to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the U.S.
- Employ modern digital delivery practices such as lean-agile engineering, DevSecOps, data science, and cloud computing to create a valuable, adaptable, and reliable system
- Collaborate closely with government officials and other contractors to continuously improve how everyone works together
Note: This position is also available to freelancers or boutique firms who would prefer to work on a contract basis.
We’re seeking qualified candidates with skills and experience in several of these areas:
- Engineering scalable, high-performing web applications
- Ruby on Rails or similar web frameworks
- Consumption and creation of REST-based or SOAP-based APIs
- RDBMs such as MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Automated testing tools such as Cucumber, RSpec, Capybara, Watir, and MiniTest
- Object-oriented design patterns, database design patterns, and data modeling
- Bonus points: cloud technologies (Heroku, AWS, Azure), software development platforms (GitHub), NoSQL (MongoDB, Redis), and DevOps tools (Jenkins/TeamCity, Vagrant, Puppet/Chef)
We focus on supporting you in a variety of ways:
- Competitive salary
- Profit-sharing and bonus opportunities
- Company-subsidized health and dental insurance
- 401k plan
- Unlimited paid time off policy
- Time to focus on activities such as learning & development, open-source projects, and community outreach
- An environment that empowers you to unleash your superpowers for public good
- Relocation assistance (on a case-by-case basis)