Scrum/XP/Agile team in midtown Manhattan is looking for an experienced Rubyist or experienced Java/C#/Python developer interested in learning Ruby.
Scrum/XP/Agile team in midtown Manhattan is looking for an experienced Rubyist or experienced Java/C#/Python developer interested in learning Ruby. We are an established, four developer Scrum/XP team. Our team contains experienced Rails developers who program, extensively test and deploy predictably on a weekly iteration cycle. We emphasize work/life balance, sustainable pace and collaborative feature development in a collegial environment.
Work entails creating and maintaining Ruby on Rails websites and other consumer digital products for Simon & Schuster, a leading English Language trade publisher. Position reports directly to VP Technology for Simon & Schuster Digital. Simon & Schuster is a women-run organization, an equal opportunity employer and a part of ViacomCBS Corporation.
Join a good team. Get a full-time job with benefits. Help us figure out the future of trade publishing. Gain access to Simon & Schuster’s thousands of books through our employee physical and ebook programs.
● 3-5 years professional experience working with Ruby on Rails or equivalent experience in object oriented languages such as Java, Python, C# or PHP and demonstrated willingness to learn Ruby.
● Interpersonal skills to collaborate closely with cross-functional team and to communicate with executive sponsors.
● Experience with Agile Extreme Programming (XP) development and Scrum lifecycle practices, or a strong desire to learn including: agile product teams, test driven development, continuous integration, iterative delivery and retrospection.
● Familiarity with concepts of MVC, Mocking, ORM, and RESTful.
● Experience implementing responsive designs using an existing frameworks or pure CSS.
● Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
● A knack for writing clean, readable and maintainable Ruby code.
● Experience with libraries such as Redis, Rspec, Mocha, Capybara.
● Experience with optimizing MySQL databases; NoSQL and/or PostgreSQL a plus.
● Experience with Resque or other background job frameworks.
● Familiarity with ONIX for Books to communicate book information in electronic form.
● Experience with data design and/or modeling.
● Ability to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system.
● Ability to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests.
● Familiarity with pair programming.