About the job
The Red Hat Experience Engineering (XE) team is looking for an "Associate Software Maintenance Engineer" position focused on ...
About the job
The Red Hat Experience Engineering (XE) team is looking for an "Associate Software Maintenance Engineer" position focused on Red Hat Enterprise Linux to join us. In this role, you'll have the opportunity to work on critical fixes for userspace and kernel components in stable update streams. You will make sure that our solutions fulfill the highest possible enterprise quality, performance, usability, and supportability criteria. You will gain a deep understanding of a variety of technologies from Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
To succeed in this role, you'll need to be detail focused and mindful of following secure coding standards as you'll be working on stable streams. You'll work with older streams that have their own specifics, requiring troubleshooting of potential problems. Some of the work may be automated, so previous experience and willingness to work with automation tooling could save you time.
What you will do
- Work on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) updates and be responsible for the updates in the stable streams
- Backport selected security and other bug fixes into the stable release streams and help with tracking of upstream patches for backport
- Configure or backport tests, set up test environment, run tests, and verify fixes
- Help with the development of the tests and test framework
- Help with development and integration efforts of the test environment
- Troubleshoot any potential issues, collaborate with the engineering team on resolving them
- Collaborate with various teams (product engineering, quality engineering, program management, release engineering) in order to deliver updates in a timely manner and appropriate quality
- Participate in product engineering team meetings
What you will bring
- Bachelor's or higher degree in computer science or a related engineering field, or relevant professional experience
- Interest in open source software and development
- Intermediate knowledge of Linux and programming languages like C, C++, Python, Ruby, Ruby on Rails
- Familiarity with scripting using Bash or Python, or both
- Good C/C++ skills
- Experience working with Git (cherry-picking, merging, rebasing, etc. )
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with a global team
- Solid written and verbal communication skills in English
- Prior participation and active community member in open source software projects is a significant advantage
- Creative, motivated, and capable of working both independently and as part of a globally distributed team
The salary range for this position is $74,330 - $115,290. Actual offer will be based on your qualifications.